Monday, April 27, 2015

If I Were the Devil (Spin-Off)

Recently, I saw the following theme on Facebook. In light of the churning social climate in the USA that has become more antagonistic, it seems, toward the Christian world view 

IF I WERE THE DEVIL, I’d get people to love Jesus, but not be a radical in their love for Him. After all, there are many things to love. I would whisper a thought in people’s ears about the Lord not wanting them to miss fun and/or relaxing activities. I’d then get them to gradually place more importance on sleeping late on Sunday’s and thinking of the fun things that seemingly can only be done on that day.

IF I WERE THE DEVIL, I’d get people to watch TV preachers and buy plenty of inspirational books. At first I’d get them to think of this as a way of adding more spiritual things into their lives. Gradually, I’d convince them that if they can hear such great preaching and music on TV, they don’t really need to go to that old traditional institution called church. I’d encourage them to think that just because Christ ordained and instructed them to be faithful to the church; they don’t really need all that. In fact, I’d whisper a thought that they can get all of God they need in nature, by watching TV, or by reading inspirational stories.

IF I WERE THE DEVIL, I’d get families to get really busy with jobs and activities. That way, they would have to consume themselves with making money to afford all the “things” that they need to live the “good life.” I’d tell them that there would be more time for God some other time of life. I’d expend my best efforts and all my resources to simply get families, while still getting a little religion, to make their own selfish needs their priority. In that way, they could convince themselves, that God understands that they have these “needs” and that someday they’ll have more time for Him.

IF I WERE THE DEVIL, I’d get church people to think that the “little” sins of gossip, a critical spirit, and lack of love are just normal things that God probably won't even notice. I’d get a church to become satisfied in thinking they were doing all they need to do, just having regular services, and lots of “eating meetings.” I’d urge them to be satisfied with half-hearted singing, lifeless worship and prayers that are void of tears.


HOWEVER, I’M NOT THE DEVIL, SATAN IS. And he does not need any help. He is already doing a very good job of convincing people to dilute their devotion to the Lord and to His church. And, he is amazingly effective in keeping us from evangelizing the lost . . . Don’t you think?

Enough of that...after all, Satan is a defeated enemy. Our focus is upon Jesus Christ...with Whom we are more than conquerors! Yes, let us keep our eyes fixed upon Jesus...in all things.

Tonight... the Area Wide Vacation Bible School Clinic will be held at Philadelphia Baptist Church. Bring your workers and come on out for the perfect event to stimulate your efforts for VBS. Great inspiration and training will be the tangible result of coming!

Congratulations to Lee and Gail Taylor upon their 50th Anniversary! Congratulations! Lee is the pastor of the Cedar Grove Baptist Church in Lecompte, Louisiana. 

Blessings,
Robert Daniel, Director of Missions
Big Creek, Central, and N. Rapides Associations

No comments:

Post a Comment